There is a place just north of the U-district that serves sesame seed waffles, and one can get either just a plain waffle with real maple syrup, or, for a little extra, whipped cream, blueberries, and sliced bananas. These are egg-free and made with whole wheat pastry flour.
twenty years ago I went there with a friend. She liked the waffles so much that she asked for the recipe–and they actually gave it to her!
She gave me a copy and I made it once or twice, then lost the recipe! I haven’t been back there since, and I think the waffle maker was sold in a garage sale when I needed to downsize, many years ago.
This is my best recollection of the recipe. I made it this morning because we finally got ourselves a new waffle maker. Anyways, I’m pretty happy with it. They come out slightly crunchy on the outside, probably due to the sesame seeds and the agave nectar, but they are also slightly tender, possibly due to the buttermilk and pastry flour. So be careful when you turn them out. But they tasted almost exactly as I remembered them to be! Have great weekend!
1/2 cup applesauce
1 and 3/4 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup canola oil
1/4 cup agave nectar
2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup sesame seeds
1. Preheat waffle maker/waffle iron
2. Combine and whisk the first four ingredients in a large bowl
3. In a separate bowl, sift and combine the next six dry ingredients. Stir with a whisk in the bowl to ensure the ingredients are well combined.
4. Add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and stir until just combined. Small lumps are okay, but you don’t want large lumps.
5. When waffle maker or iron is ready, grease with either butter, or spray with butter flavored cooking spray. Follow manufacturer’s directions on making waffles. Usually waffles are ready within 5 minutes, but different waffle irons and waffle makers may vary in cooking times.
6. When waffle is ready, place on a plate and top with maple syrup and any other toppings you’d like to add. I added whipped cream, bananas, and blueberries.